Wednesday, April 8, 2009

It’s spring so I must be Twitterpated ♥

Definition from Urban Dictionary:
Twitterpated
1)to be completely enamored with someone/something. 2) the flighty exciting feeling you get when you think about/see the object of your affection. 3) romantically excited (i.e.: aroused) 4) the ever increasing acceleration of heartbeat and body temperature as a result of being engulfed amidst the exhilaration and joy of being/having a romantic entity in someone's life.

I have been asked several times if I know the secret to a happy relationship/marriage. When I am asked this question it always makes me think of my mother. As a Deacon’s wife she was a relationship counselor to many in our congregation. My mother had a top three list for a loving and healthy relationship:

1) Respect
2) Appreciation
3) Communication

Surprisingly love was not on her top three because she always said that you could not love someone who you did not respect or appreciate. You could not love someone who you did not take the time to truly understand due to a lack of communication. According to my mom if you did not have the top three in your relationship you were not really in love.

Our story starts off as teen-agers growing up in the crazy 80s. Joe and I dated for a couple of years that were filled with House Music, concerts, cruising, and all of the Friday the 13th movies. Then one day we just grew up and went our separate ways. Fast forward 10 years – Joe held the door open for me as I rushed to get my cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts. At first I didn’t even recognize him he since he was a 20 year old when I last saw him and now he was a man. I was a random woman and he was being a gentleman by holding the door open for me. We have been together ever since that day and the rest is history. In June we will be celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary ♥

This past week was report card day and our daughter, being a typical 14 year old, needed to have a pep talk regarding her grades. I sat back and watched Joe talk to Ash in a way that still gives me goose bumps when I think back to it. Joe remained calm as Ash got upset at the mere thought of losing her cell phone. He was such a caring dad when talking to her all the while being stern when necessary. I felt my respect for Joe grow deeper as he stood his ground and did not let emotions overtake him.

We had a healthy family discussion that resulted in an action plan. We all committed as a family to do whatever possible to help Ash improve her grades. At the end of the conversation after some tears had been shed, Joe sat in silence hugging Ash. The calming hush was an indication that we had weathered the storm.

I had a completely different appreciation for Joe that it literally brought tears to my eyes. I couldn’t help but think back to our early years... is this the same guy who impressed me as a 19 year old by driving a Mustang Cobra? The same guy who took me to Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, and OMD concerts?

So as you can see it is completely possible to be twitterpated by someone who you have known and loved for more than 20 years. Bambi and Thumper never had it so good!

P.S. I’m glad I listened to my mom’s advice
!

1 comment:

  1. This made me a little misty eyed! From your writing, I can completely visualize this entire exchange. Boy do I ever remember that Dunkin Donuts story - I've told it to people myself because it is so cool!

    Thanks for always sharing your advice (and your mom's - smooches). I love this blog idea! I've always admired you and your relationship with Joe, and it gives me hope to know it can/will happen for me too.

    Luv you lots!
    Leola

    ReplyDelete